If you’re a door-to-door salesperson, chances are you probably face this fear from time to time.
Especially does this often occur after being away from selling for some time (holidays, illness etc.). Not only is it bothersome, but more importantly it cost you money as you waste valuable time. However it is usually easy to overcome. As soon as you have knocked a few doors, and spoken to a few customers that day it gets easier. The problem is just overcoming the first door..
Here is a little “first aid kit” you might use whenever you face this fear:
1. Don’t think about selling anything for a while. You only goal now is to knock 5 doors. Nothing else.
2. Stop your car, and do this super easy motivation technique (6 steps)
- We all have our good and bad days, but to perform at the very best level every single day your motivation and spirit must be sky high!Have you ever noticed that you tend to sell more in the next hours after a sale? Success breeds success, and when you close a sale your self-esteem gets an instant boost.Here I will share with you a powerful technique that actually gives you this feeling of success even before you leave your house in the morning!1. Find a room (you can even do it in your car) where you won’t be interrupted for the next 15 minutes.
- Sit down comfortably in a straight chair with both your feet on the ground.
- Close your eyes.
- Imagine you have a third eye in your forehead, slightly above and between the other two. Visualize that you are looking at this point with your inner eyes.
- Take 10 deep breaths.
- Think back on the most successful day in your sales career. Try to visualize everything you did that day as vividly as possible. In your inner mind run through all the sales meetings. See what you saw, feel that you felt that day. Let the sensations overwhelm you! Feel the success you felt at the end of that day. How do you feel now?
- Why does this technique work? Your mind can’t tell the difference between whats actually happening and whats only in your imagination (thats why hypnosis and the placebo effect works). The more vividly you are able to visualize, the stronger the effect gets. As with everything else in life, you get better at visualization the more you practice it. Make this technique a part of your daily morning ritual, and you will probably see wonderful things happen to your sales as well.
3. Drive up to the nearest house you see without judging how it looks, wondering what kinds of people who live there etc. Ring the doorbell without having a single thought in your head. If the person who opens turns you down, it doesn’t matter. Try to keep the conversation going on other subjects than sales just to get your tongue warmed up so to speak.
4. At the next house you will feel even calmer. And at the fifth house, the fear will most likely be totally gone.
Good luck, and happy selling!